Happy Hour: Thirsty Thursday
It’s Thursday, May 23rd. Here’s our list of recommended beer-related events in and around New York after work tonight:
- It’s a crosstown Sixpoint party tonight at both The Pony Bar HK (637 10th Ave. at 45th St., Hell’s Kitchen) and The Pony Bar UES (1444 First Ave. at 75th St., Upper East Side). Starting at 6pm, enjoy 22 brews at each bar, including rarities like Gorilla Warfare and Ataraxia on the West Side, and Juicy Killer Crisp and Rebel Lion on the East Side.
- Barcade (388 Union Ave., at Ainslie St., Williamsburg) welcomes Stone Brewing today starting at 4pm. They’ll pour a whole slew of these brews from California, including Vertical Epic 10.10.10, Espresso Imperial Russian Stout, and the rare Mixtape Vol. 4, a blend of several Stone beers.
It’s a Brooklyn CANibalization at Bushwick Tradesman (222 Bushwick Ave., at Meserole St., Williamsburg). Starting tonight at 7pm, celebrate Brooklyn’s lineup of canned beers - the Summer Ale, East India Pale Ale, and Lager - and enter to win a trip to a beer festival in Toronto (yeah, really).This has been rescheduled for next Thursday, May 30th.
- Allagash takes over the taps at Bierkraft (191 Fifth Ave., at President St., Park Slope) tonight at 7pm. They’ll have the Yakuza, Odyssey, Bourbon Black, and plenty more from the Portland, Maine brewer.
- Speaking of Maine, Coopers Craft & Kitchen (87 2nd Ave., at 5th St., East Village) hosts Atlantic Brewing tonight at 6pm. They’ll be pouring the Coal Porter, Island Ginger, and the brand-new Big Wicked IPA in its first New York City appearance.
- Have a taste of Queens with Singlecut Beersmiths at New York Beer Company (321 W. 44th St., at 8th Ave., Midtown West) tonight starting at 5pm. Enjoy the 19-33 Queens Lagrrr, Billy 18 Watt IPA, Jan Olympic White Lagrrr. Plus it’s a Rock-N-Roll Party, so they’ll be spinning Classic Rock hits all night long.
- ABC Beer Co. (96 Avenue C, at 6th St., East Village) hosts four beers from Brooklyn’s KelSo tonight at 6pm. Stop by to enjoy the Nut Brown Lager, Carrollgaarden Wit, Brett IPA, and Recessionator.
- The Thursday Tap at Jimmy’s No. 43 (43 E. 7th St., at 2nd Ave., East Village) is the Nøgne Ø Tiger Tripel, a 9.0% ABV traditional Belgian-style Abbey ale.
Yankee Stadium gets flack for beer classification again
A DNAinfo photo shows the odd characterization of a Goose Island beer as an “import.”
Do the Yankees take beer drinkers for idiots? Earlier this year, Yankee Stadium sold a lineup of MillerCoors products in a “Craft Beer” stand, then relented under a media backlash. Now, Patrick Wall at DNAinfo points out that the stadium beer vendors classify Goose Island IPA as an import. Never mind the fact that they sell a pint of the beer from the Anheuser-Busch owned brewery for $12; to the folks who run the concessions, a beer brewed in the United States is an “import.”
West Sixth-Magic Hat Dispute: Enough Bickering and Stupidity
For the last two days, there has been a back-and-forth of press releases and social media attacks between two brewers: West Sixth of Lexington, Kentucky (whose logo is pictured on the left), and formerly-craft-now-crafty brewer Magic Hat, once of Vermont and now a brand owned by North American Breweries, which itself is owned by Cerveceria Costa Rica (whose logo for their beer #9 is pictured on the right).
The long and short of it: West Sixth claims that rather than work in good faith to resolve a despite amicably over the similarity of their logos, Magic Hat lawyered up and filed suit against the small brewer. West Sixth was upset, and expressed their discontent publicly in a microsite they created (which crashed under the weight of its own popularity yesterday). The site called for a boycott and encouraged the craft beer community to sign a petition urging Magic Hat to drop the suit.
Happy Hour: Find Founders
It’s Wednesday, May 22nd. Here’s our list of recommended beer-related events in and around New York after work tonight:
- Blind Tiger Ale House (281 Bleecker St., at Jones St., Greenwich Village) hosts Founders all day and night today with some very rare brews. They’ll have the Doom on tap, plus the 2011 Backwoods Bastard, Old Curmudgeon, Barrel-Aged Habañero Spite, and many more brews from Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Downtown Bar & Grill (160 Court St., at Dean St., Cobble Hill) celebrates their seventh anniversary tonight starting at 5pm with a big lineup of big old beers. They’ll have a 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale, 2008 Flying Dog Gonzo, 2009 Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, and many more boozy and cellared brews.
- Mission Dolores (249 4th Ave., at Carroll St., Park Slope) celebrates Hudson Valley Beer Night with a lineup brews from three different brewers up river, including the Rushing Duck Beanhead Coffee Porter, Newburgh Paper Box Pale Ale, and Peekskill Hop Common. The special brews will be $4 from 7-10pm.
- Get to know the beers of Bavik tonight at City Swiggers (320 E. 86th St., at 2nd Ave., Upper East Side). From 6-9pm, try the Bavik Pils, Petrus Aged Sour Red, and more Belgian specialties.
- Mission Brewery and Idle Hands Bar (25 Avenue B, at 2nd St., East Village), team up for the bar’s weekly $10 Bourbon and Beer Tasting Series. Taste the Shipwrecked Double IPA, the Blonde, and more beer outta San Diego!
- Celebrate NYC Mead Week with a tasting from Moonlight Meadery at Jimmy’s No. 43 (43 E. 7th St., at 2nd Ave., East Village). Tonight at 6pm, taste some meads and meet Moonlight’s owner and meadmaker Michael Fairbrother.
Happy Hour: Mad Science
It’s Tuesday, May 21st. Here’s our list of recommended beer-related events in and around New York after work tonight:
- It’s Sixpoint Night at One Mile House (10 Delancey St., at Bowery, Lower East Side) tonight at 6pm. Try two Mad Scientists beers, including the new #14: The Gratzer! Plus, they’ll have two beers from the Spice of Life single-hop series, the summer favorite Apollo, and lots more.
- Bierkraft (191 Fifth Ave., at President St., Park Slope) features Mission Brewery tonight at 7pm for their free Tuesday Tasting. Enjoy some free tastes of these beers straight outta San Diego.
- This week’s Tuesday Tasting at Jimmy’s No. 43 (43 E. 7th St., at 2nd Ave., East Village) features Saisons! $20 gets you beers like the Green Flash Summer Saison, The Bruery Saison De Lente, and more. Things get underway at 7:30pm.
- It’s Breckenridge Night starting at 4pm at Rattle-N-Hum (14 E. 33rd St., at 5th Ave., Midtown). They’ll pour the Trade Mark Pale Ale, Lucky U IPA, Summer Bright, and more!